Trans Am Final!

This is where some people post things that don't belong in other forums and most people post things that do.
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Trans Am Final!

Post by onyxdragon »

OK, so she's out and about. There was a tuning issue with idle. They had trouble getting it to idle at 650 RPM. It was perfectly fine when driving down the road, but if I had to take my foot out of it suddenly, it would stall. If I slowly took my foot out of it and held the throttle at around 1%, then let off, it wouldn't stall. So after some investigating, they discovered that the computer was trying to use the IAC valve to smooth out the slightly more lumpy idle. It isn't even that lumpy, really, but the computer wasn't happy. So they adjusted the TB a bit, bumped the idle RPM up to 750-800, and it's fine now.

So keep in mind that since around 2008-2009, ALL I've been driving has been Jeeps. I got on this thing and it scared me. But of course, I did it again after that, sooo... :lol: :lol: I'd forgotten how raw cars used to be. When I got on it, the feeling of being shoved back, the angry sound of the exhaust, how far up the nose lifted, it was all awesome, and it isn't very quiet at low RPMs, either, like modern cars. I really miss these type of cars. Thankfully Dodge is still in that market.
Onyx Dragon
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander, 2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Nick

Re: Trans Am Final!

Post by Nick »

Nice, congrats! I feel like I missed the boat. Can't touch anything fun for a reasonable price anymore. I really should've just kept that damned Cutlass and put some money into it, yeah it was a big slow boat BUT it could've been a totally fine platform for some power to have fun with.
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Post by onyxdragon »

Nick wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:06 pm Nice, congrats! I feel like I missed the boat. Can't touch anything fun for a reasonable price anymore. I really should've just kept that damned Cutlass and put some money into it, yeah it was a big slow boat BUT it could've been a totally fine platform for some power to have fun with.
Honestly, I love those old Cutlasses. Always have.
Onyx Dragon
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander, 2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
ling427ttvette

Post by ling427ttvette »

Always fun when your car scares you a little!

That's the biggest difference I've noticed between the G8 and the Trans Am. I just dyno'd the G8 last week, and it's making about 410hp at the crank. The Trans Am, not sure. Other than headers, true dual exhaust and a K&N (just me or does the and symbol look weird?) FIPK intake, it's stock. I don't guess those added much power over stock.

But the Trans Am feels so much more raw, and butt dyno makes it feel faster because you get all the feeling of that raw power, there's no built in torque management systems with the T56.

The G8, that I am positive would smoke the Trans Am, has torque management and I'm sure more fancy things that I am un-aware of, the power comes on so smoothly, that it just puts you back in the seat a bit and it goes.

Glad to hear your Trans Am is up and going! Luos's car made me fall in love with them!
99 Trans Am|08 G8 GT|87 Mustang LX
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Post by onyxdragon »

ling427ttvette wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:09 pm Always fun when your car scares you a little!

That's the biggest difference I've noticed between the G8 and the Trans Am. I just dyno'd the G8 last week, and it's making about 410hp at the crank. The Trans Am, not sure. Other than headers, true dual exhaust and a K&N (just me or does the and symbol look weird?) FIPK intake, it's stock. I don't guess those added much power over stock.

But the Trans Am feels so much more raw, and butt dyno makes it feel faster because you get all the feeling of that raw power, there's no built in torque management systems with the T56.

The G8, that I am positive would smoke the Trans Am, has torque management and I'm sure more fancy things that I am un-aware of, the power comes on so smoothly, that it just puts you back in the seat a bit and it goes.

Glad to hear your Trans Am is up and going! Luos's car made me fall in love with them!
I like the G8s. I hope to get one some day.
Onyx Dragon
Warrior87

Post by Warrior87 »

How long has the Trans Am been under the knife?

Congrats on getting it finished!
2003 Rubicon | 1999 Land Cruiser | 1986 Comanche | 1966 K20
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Post by onyxdragon »

Warrior87 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:49 pm How long has the Trans Am been under the knife?

Congrats on getting it finished!
Well, with problems getting parts due to supply line issues, about 8 months. Sitting dormant? About 10 years.
Onyx Dragon
Warrior87

Post by Warrior87 »

onyxdragon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:21 pm Sitting dormant? About 10 years.
I thought you started the Trans Am not long after I tore into my Comanche. You definitely beat me to the punch getting it on the road!
2003 Rubicon | 1999 Land Cruiser | 1986 Comanche | 1966 K20
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Post by onyxdragon »

Warrior87 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:29 pm
onyxdragon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:21 pm Sitting dormant? About 10 years.
I thought you started the Trans Am not long after I tore into my Comanche. You definitely beat me to the punch getting it on the road!
Na. Had trouble getting the title from my sister, she ran into life (left bf, became a single mom, etc). But it's all clear now.
Onyx Dragon