Trans Am Update

This is where some people post things that don't belong in other forums and most people post things that do.
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Trans Am Update

Post by onyxdragon »

So they have it mostly back together. They are waiting for a special tool to come in for the A/C compressor pulley (it was making a horrible ratting noise when the A/C wasn't on). After that they will put the hoses and belts back on.

I had purchased some Holley red valve covers to match the red MSD ignition coils, but the coils and valve covers weren't compatible for some reason. So they cleaned the old ones up and reused them. Currently, the new cam, valve seals, valve springs, timing components, intake manifold, throttle body, and pumps have already been installed.

After the tool arrives, then they will put on the A/C pulley assembly, then reinstall the intake, hoses, and start the car.

Obviously, they will need to do a tune since it has a new cam, in addition to the fact that I went with a new 92mm FAST intake manifold and matching 92mm throttle body. I'm hoping most of this will be done within the next week. It really all depends on how fast the A/C pulley tool takes to arrive. With supply lines still being off, hopefully it won't delay this. I already experienced that when it took a month and a half to get a cam from Texas Speed.
Onyx Dragon
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander, 2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Re: Trans Am Update

Post by onyxdragon »

So it is now mainly back together:

It also has a running tune, but is not yet dyno tuned fully:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGcfoxn7jI
Onyx Dragon
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander, 2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
ling427ttvette

Post by ling427ttvette »

Sounds great! I just picked up a cam for mine, will be getting a few more goodies soon for it. Yours should run a heck of a lot better!
99 Trans Am|08 G8 GT|87 Mustang LX
DanDB64

Post by DanDB64 »

Awesome. Need more idle video though!
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Post by onyxdragon »

So. Now it is showing a misfire on all cylinders. It's an older car, and they typically work with newer cars, mostly imports, so I suggested a Crank Trigger Relearn. The advisor said he'd talk with the tuner and engine builder to make sure that was done.

Then I found a lot of posts about how bad MSD coils are...and I have those on the car. After replacing them, the cylinder 6 misfire got worse. I thought it was a reputable company, so I didn't do much research in it. Now I'm wondering if they are causing issues as well.
Onyx Dragon
ling427ttvette

Post by ling427ttvette »

onyxdragon wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:35 pm So. Now it is showing a misfire on all cylinders. It's an older car, and they typically work with newer cars, mostly imports, so I suggested a Crank Trigger Relearn. The advisor said he'd talk with the tuner and engine builder to make sure that was done.

Then I found a lot of posts about how bad MSD coils are...and I have those on the car. After replacing them, the cylinder 6 misfire got worse. I thought it was a reputable company, so I didn't do much research in it. Now I'm wondering if they are causing issues as well.
Is it actually mis-firing? Or is it just throwing a P0300? There are MANY things that will throw a P0300 but if all cylinders are actually having physical misfires, I would say that the cam/crank correlation needs a re-learn as well. Especially after the work you've had done, but it may also need to be a tuning issue to get the timing set properly for all the new goodies.
99 Trans Am|08 G8 GT|87 Mustang LX
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Post by onyxdragon »

ling427ttvette wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:00 am
Is it actually mis-firing? Or is it just throwing a P0300? There are MANY things that will throw a P0300 but if all cylinders are actually having physical misfires, I would say that the cam/crank correlation needs a re-learn as well. Especially after the work you've had done, but it may also need to be a tuning issue to get the timing set properly for all the new goodies.
Yeah, I told them about the case learn...or the Crank Trigger Relearn as they called it on LS1tech.com. They are going to start there. I hope that's all it is. They said it is definitely NOT misfiring. It may just be a bad alignment, as you said, between the cam and crank sensors.
Onyx Dragon
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Post by onyxdragon »

So shop called. There was some concern with the oil pressure. They said it wasn't reporting what they thought it should, so to be sure , they hooked up a mechanical gauge to it. It's showing 10-12 psi at idle. They will be changing it out for an OEM oil pump. I'm glad they caught it. There are some shady shops that would have thrown it on the dyno, then when it grenaded, told me "You're problem. We can rebuild it for you."
Onyx Dragon
Nick

Post by Nick »

Sounds like they're thorough. I definitely know of some shops that would send it out like that and just tell the customer "your gauge is just off by a little bit, but it's fine".
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Post by onyxdragon »

Man am I glad to hear this!

"New oil pump is in and the pressure it now at 60 psi at initial start and 35-40 psi at idle once warm. Safe to say the new pump did the job!"

So the original oil pump wasn't pushing out as much as it should, the second oil pump was faulty and way below what it should be, but this one works.
Onyx Dragon