Pre and post heart attack

This is where some people post things that don't belong in other forums and most people post things that do.
onyxdragon
Site Admin

Re: Pre and post heart attack

Post by onyxdragon »

Warrior87 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:16 pm I assume type 2? I am Type 1 and my endocrinologist would love it if my A1C could stay around 7.

Middle age has started to catch up with me. It's time to get healthier and by the same notion hopefully drop some excess weight. What do you guys eat? I know my diet of fast food for lunch is terrible and correcting that would help tremendously, but I am kind of at a loss what to do for food in the day. What works for you?
Type 2 would be correct.

Well, I cut all sugar and sodas out. Well, not all, I'll drink Sprite 0 and an occasional diet coke, but that's it. Once in a while I'll reward myself with a sugar treat.

In regards to food, I eat a lot of turkey and chicken, but still eat red meat as well. It's not fast food. Chipotle is as close as I come to that, and it's always a burrito bowl with brown rice, beans, extra chicken, tomato salsa, corn salsa, and lettuce...on cheat days I'll add on the sour cream and cheese.

Largely I avoid breads unless it's multigrain. I substitute mustard in for mayonnaise, and if I eat chips, it's SunChips.

Last night I had chicken, asparagus, and some artichoke hearts, all grilled.

To drink, I largely stick with water. Gatorade is acceptable, but only G2 or G0.

I work out twice a week with a trainer, and I ride a bike and hike a lot these days. That also helps with the sugar levels, and definitely with the weight.

For me, the key has been avoiding sugars and sodas (it's to the point now that I can feel caffeine messing with my heart if I drink something caffeinated), going for wraps instead of sandwiches or switching to multigrain, and eating more chicken and turkey...as well as the exercise. The exercise was the biggest deal for me.
Onyx Dragon
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Islander, 2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am